Monday 29 October 2007

Tuna, Tuna, and more Tuna.

What do you do when you have a million cans of tuna stocked up in your pantry, and are looking for something different and exciting? No, I am totally serious. I have what feels like a million cans of tuna. Really it isn't quite as versatile as something like chicken, and nothing like a piece of fresh tuna.

How did I end up with so much tuna you ask yourself? See I might have gone through a slight bird flu pandemic, paranoia phase last year. Consequently I started stock piling nonperishables by the box full. I know I need help, you can stop rolling on the floor with laughter. My Hubby thinks I am nuts, but did humor me through out the entire phase, and go with the flow.

Needless to say I am over it now, and trying to find interesting ways to use up this tuna. These little cakes were pretty good, we even got Lilly to take a bite of two (trust me that is a miracle). But my favorite part of this meal was by far the noodles...they will be seen again you can guarantee it!


Peanut Butter Thai Noodles:
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger root
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 3 tablespoons peanut butter
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
  • 2 teaspoons chili sauce
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 8 ounces Udon noodles
  • 1/4 cup chopped green onions
Cook noodles according to package directions, and drain.

In a small pot combine chicken broth, ginger, soy sauce, peanut butter, honey, chili sauce, and garlic in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking until peanut butter melts.

Pour over noodles, and toss to coat. Garnish with green onions.

Tuna cakes:
  • 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna, drained and flaked
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
  • 3 green onions, minced
  • 2 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 Tbsp soy sauce
  • 2 Tbsp teriyaki sauce
  • 1 Tbsp sesame oil
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 cup cornmeal
  • Oil for frying
In a large bowl, mix tuna, egg, bread crumbs, green onions, and garlic. Mix in soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, sesame oil, and pepper.

Divide mixture into about 6 patties approximately 1 inch thick. Lightly sprinkle each patty on all sides with cornmeal.

Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Fry each patty about 3-5 minutes on each side, until golden brown.

Enjoy!

No comments: