Monday 26 November 2007

Simplicity

Sometimes the thought of coming home to make supper for the family is overwhelming. Now, for the most part I use my time in the kitchen to de-stress after a long day at work. However, there are always those days when it is the last place I want to be! Of course then the dilemma then is what too eat. I am still hungry, Hubby is still hungry, and Lilly, well she needs something to turn her nose up at still :)

On days like these there are a few recipes that I can call upon in a pinch, including the chicken-pot pie. It involved minimal effort on my part, and the ingredients are things I normally have on hand, so I can substitute it into my menu for the week in an instant. Not to mention the fact that there is something incredibly comforting about this dish, so if I have had a rough day it is certain to help me to feel better.

Chicken Pot Pie:

Chicken Pot Pie

  • 2 Chicken breast cut into 1" cubes
  • 1/4 cup Italian dressing
  • 125g of light cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 3 cups frozen mixed veggies, thawed
  • 1 frozen pie crust, thawed(I know it would be so much better with a homemade one, but the point of this is quick and easy, one day I will try it though)

Preheat oven to 375 F

Cook chicken in dressing in large skillet until outside no longer pink. Add cream cheese and stir until melts. Add broth and veggies and simmer for about5 min.

Pour mixture into 8" or 9" deep pie dish. Place pie crust on top, and cut slits on top for vents.

Bake for approximately 30 minutes (or until golden)

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Mona said...

Yeah Christy, i really agree with you, Cooking in my kitchen is one of my most fav thing i do to de-stress myself, but there are times when as you said, it'll b last place i wanna be after a tiring day.. :-) This recipe sounds too good and delicious. Thnx for sharing.

www.monaafzal.wordpress.com