Wednesday 12 December 2007

Mmmmm, I love salsa!

There is something about the combination of flavors, and the bite of the spice that I cannot simply get enough of. Hubby is not the biggest fan of Mexican food, so I am restricted in how frequently I am allowed to prepare it for the family. Consequently there is always a jar of salsa in my fridge for my own personal indulgence. Like with my eggs, or crackers, and even occasionally by the spoonful :)

Now of course, I am the one who sets the menu in the house. So when the jar in the fridge doesn't quite satisfy my craving, something hot and spicy is on the menu. This dish here is one of my favorites. If I serve it with guacamole (which is a must in our house) it becomes one of Hubby's favorite dishes. Oh, and did I mention that it is one of the simplest things to make ever...pushing it even further up my favorite list.


Guacamole: (Every time I make this it is different, I have tried to approximate the quantities but in reality I just do it by taste)

Guacamole Preperations
  • 2 ripe avocados
  • salt & pepper
  • 1 tbsp cilantro chopped
  • 1 clove garlic chopped
  • juice of 1 lime

Cut avocados in half, remove pit, and spoon filling to a small bowl. Mash avocado until smooth (if your avocados are not ripe this isn't the easiest thing to do). Stir in in cilantro, garlic, and lime juice. Then add salt and pepper to taste. Finish off with final squeeze of lime juice on top (don't mix this one in, helps prevent things from going brown colour), and cover until ready to serve.

Southwest Bake:

Southwest Rice Bake
  • 2 Chicken breast, cubed
  • Olive oil
  • pinch of cumin
  • 1 & 1/2 cups wild rice
  • 650 ml jar of salsa
  • 1 & 1/4 cup chicken broth
  • 1 tsp crushed dried chilies
  • zest of 1 lime
  • Cilantro

Preheat oven to 350F.

Heat oil in skillet. Sprinkle chicken with pepper and cumin and brown in hot skillet.

In a 9x13 casserole dish, combine rice, salsa, broth, vest and dried chilies. Place chicken on top. Cover with foil and place in oven. Cook for 45 minutes. Uncover and continue to cook for 20 minutes, or until rice is dry.

Garnish with Cilantro, and serve with both guacamole and sour cream.

Enjoy!

No comments: