Thursday 30 August 2007

Goodbye Summer

I am welcoming Fall with arms wide open. To celebrate I made soup last night, and enjoyed every single minute of it! Of course since doing so the sun has come out, and it is 28C, but that is okay.

Normally I am not quite so welcoming of the season change, and I am sure once fall is officially here I will be regretting my early indoctrination of it. Of course to be honest my longing for colder weather is simply due to the my overwhelming desire to use my new cookbook, Great Soup, Empty Bowls. Did I mention that I was able to get a copy of it for only $5 at HomeSense, I really love that store. Because I wouldn't let myself make soup in too early, I have been reading it over and over again. Flagging all the ones that catch my eye, which is most of the book. I was even reading it in the ER last week, while I was waiting for my Hubby. I do believe they people there though I was a tad strange. Oh well!

Anyway this I was very impressed with first one and can't wait to try more of them.

Fresh corn chowder and roasted red pepper cream:
(Serves 4)


  • 4 cobs of corn
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1/2 onion chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic chopped
  • 1 baking potato, peeled and cubbed
  • 2 cup milk
  • 1 poblano pepper: roasted, peeled, seeded and minced
  • 1 cup whipping cream
  • Salt
Start by cutting corn off of cobs. You should end up with approximately 2/5-3 cups. In soup pot, melt butter and cook onion and garlic until soft. Add potato, corn and milk. Bring to a simmer and semi-cover pot with lid cooking until potato is soft. Approximately 10 minutes.

Add whipping cream, poblano pepper, and season with salt. Return to a simmer. Stirring frequently, cook for an additional 5-7 minutes.

For the cream:
  • 1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped
  • 1/2 tsp lemon juice
  • 1 red pepper: roasted, peeled, seeded and pureed
Combine all ingredients for the cream. Add a dollop on top of soup and serve.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Christy, was browsing the net and came through your blog, Liked the recipes and i really look forward to try it out. I also live in Canada, and am new here, am an Indian. I have added to my blogroll and will keep dropping by to check out and try your recipes :-)

www.monaaafzal.wordpress.com

Christy said...

Welcome! Hope you find more you like. I will definitely be venturing over to you too, as I am always looking for new Indian recipes in for my hubby :)

Liana said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I really like your blog... I love food and cooking, yum! I've added you to my links.

I hope you're able to make the right decision for you re: med. There were lots of people in my class who had kids and survived somehow so it can be done!