Sunday 30 September 2007

Slapdash

Definition:
–adverb
1.in a hasty, haphazard manner
–adjective
2.hasty and careless

My grandfather was a slapdash cook, throwing whatever he could together. A good friend came over the other night and she made us dinner, she is a slapdash cook.

Me, unfortunately not so much. I need structure, I need direction, I need inspiration for whatever I am making. Maybe it is due to what I consider lack of experience, or simply a fear of the unknown...what is it really going to taste like? My friend explained to just go for it and mix stuff up.

But I can't, I just can't!

Unless, I am making pasta. Fr some reason at that point I have no problem getting creative with my dishes, and simply adding whatever I have on hand. Pasta seems like something that you just can't screw up too badly, so why not just go for it. I probably should transfer this attitude to more of my dishes, and I guess I will in time. I just need to take baby steps to get there, Hey it is not like I am wanting to go on Hell's Kitchen or some other reality based chef show. All I want to do is cook for my family!

Lemon Shrimp pasta:


  • Farfalle (aka bowtie) pasta
  • half onion chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 pound uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • zest of 1 lemon
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 2 tbsp cream cheese
  • 1 cup white wine (or chicken broth)
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
Cook pasta according to package directions.

In large fry pan, cook onions and garlic until soft. Add uncooked shrimp and cook until just starting to turn pink. Add frozen peas and lemon zest and continue to cook until shrimp is cooked. Add cream cheese and stir into mixture until melted. Add broth or wine and mix.

Remove from heat and add to mix with cooked pasta. Add basil, and toss.

Enjoy!

No comments: