Thursday 14 June 2007

Crazy days

Of course today has been just one of those day, and it continued right on into dinner.

Tonight was to be BBQ steak and asparagus. Quick, easy and perfect after a long day...well of course it didn't happen that way. I came home to find the steak I left out to thaw didn't quite look right, I get really paranoid about these things, so into the garbage it went. I still feel awful about it, because I hate wasting food! But lets be honest, I am not taking any chances.

Anyway as a result I was scrambling for something to feed my family.

Now a little secret about me, normally I have a recipe to follow and I don't veer to far off course. I don't like being left to my own devices, so there was a definite moment of panic! But the gears started turning and I got things under control. I remembered I had shrimp in my freezer, some limes in the fridge, and it was off we went from there.

In the end everything turned out just right, and my Hubby was very impressed. I just might try 'winging it' more often ;)

Grilled Asparagus:
  • Bunch of asparagus spears
  • Salt & pepper
  • Olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic minced
Snap bottoms of asparagus off and discard

Drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt & pepper and garlic, toss to coat.

Place on grill, and cook until bright green and tender-crisp.


Marinated shrimp:
  • 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • juice and zest of 2 limes
  • 3 clove of garlic minced
  • 1/4 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp of crushed chili flakes
  • 1 tbsp BBQ sauce
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • Salt & pepper
Mixed all marinade ingredients together in bowl, add shrimp and toss to coat

Let marinade for approximately 1 hour; then thread shrimp onto skewers (metal, or wood - if using wood ensure they have been soaked in water)

Cook on grill/bbq until pink (be careful to not over cook!)


Quick easy and everything was delicious, Enjoy!


2 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh, I've only just found you, but I may have to hate you. Is the photo of the kitchen in the upper right corner your dream or your reality? If it's real I am sighing with envy, if it's your dream I feel like your a kindred spirit.

Thanks for the comment on my site. I pledge never to call you ma'am!

Christy said...

Thanks Amanda.

It kitchen in the photo belongs to the showhome of the house we are building...but mine will look exactly like it...sorry.