Wednesday 18 July 2007

The Great Blueberry event

I heard the promo on the radio for the blueberry event this past Sunday and instantly got giddy! I have been waiting for this all year as I love blueberries, and I really love blueberry pie.

Now don't get to excited about this 'event', as it is only one of the local grocery chains putting cases of blueberries on sale. Although it is a good thing I dashed over there this morning, because apparently due to weather conditions there is a limit of one case per customer. Thats fine by me, I just need 1 case. BUT, by 11:30 am they were GONE. Apparently I am not the only one who loves blueberries :)

So this afternoon with my coveted blueberries I of course baked a pie. Doesn't matter that it is the hottest day of the year, my place can't get any hotter. I did the same thing last year too. Everyone thinks I am nuts when I do it, but they sure don't complain much when they are eating.

Pie Crust:
(This is seriously the easiest pie crust ever, and it always turns out light and flaky)
  • 1 cup lard
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup ice water
Mix flour and salt together. Mix with lard using a pastry blender until crumbly. Stir in ice water using fork until dough holds together. Divide into two balls. Roll dough out on lightly floured surface to desired size to fit pie pan.

Blueberry Filling:

  • 4.5 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen works just fine)
  • 3/4 cups sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 4 tbsp cornstarch
  • 1 tbsp butter
Mix sugar, cinnamon, salt and cornstarch together. Place blueberries in pie dish and pour sugar mixture over top. Dot top with butter. Cover top of pie with second half of crust (I did a lattice technique by weaving strips of dough).

Bake at 400 F for approximatley 60 mintues, or until golden brown. Watch that edges don't start to burn and if needed cover with tin foil and continue to cook.

This pie does need to set in order to not be too runny. You also may find that you need to play with the amount of cornstarch you add to ensure it is not too runny.


Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG! I want a piece of this pie sooooo bad!! I LOVE Blueberries too. I found your blog through The Mom Blogs.com. I just registered mine (not a food blog though) but it's not showing up yet. Oh well I'll figure it out. TFS!